Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, said Tuesday another staff of the World Health Organization (WHO) had tested positive for coronavirus in the state.
The development brought the number of people infected by the virus in the state to eight.
The Bauchi State government had last week sealed the office complex shared by the United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF) and the World Health Organisation (WHO) after one of their workers tested positive for COVID-19.
The governor, who disclosed this to journalists at the end of an extraordinary stakeholders’ meeting on the COVID-19, said: “Even as we are meeting, I understand that there is another case that has been mentioned that has been found to be positive among the WHO staff – and now we have three active cases.”
Mohammed said that though more cases of COVID-19 are being recorded, only partial lockdown would work for the government and people of the state.
He added: “After a thorough discussion with all stakeholders of Bauchi, we have thoroughly discussed the problems and challenges on the prevalence of the COVID-19 in Bauchi.
“We have also taken cognizance of the fact that Ramadan is approaching, and the majority of the people have always considered this moment as a period of worship.
“And looking at all the decisions taken by the Jamaatul Nasirul Islam, and opinions expressed by our Emirs and Ulamas, we came to the conclusion that the Committee on COVID-19 in Bauchi will sit down with a cross-section of Ulama and clergymen to come out with clear guidelines on a partial lockdown on Bauchi State.
“This is being considered because we have a resurgence with what is happening in Kano, our neighbours and even here in Bauchi.
“The stakeholders of Bauchi have taken responsibility and they have given the government the mandate to take any action that will stop the prevalence or escalation of this COVID-19 pandemic.”